Friday, October 17, 2008

When did it all change?

Opportunity and success... two things that are tied closely together. The latter is impossible without the former, however, the former does not guarantee the latter. At least this is how I see things, how I have been taught buy history, life, and others. These are too interrelating concepts that are, or were, key ideas in the grand experiment called the USA.

Recent conversations... well to be honest arguments... tell me this has all changed. At least the relationship of the two concepts seems to have changed. And i didn't get the damn memo!! *shakes her fist in anger*

The first convo was with a business associate who looks down at me for my lack of advanced degrees, my lack of junk dangling between my legs, for my common (read honest) way I deal with others o the team, not to mention the color of my skin. He hides all this behind his concern and outrage at the social injustice that has so obviously kept me and others from being a success (having a 20year+ career, respect from peers in the same game, and owning my own small business is not successful enough to count I guess).

The second convo was with a person I grew up with. A person bemoaning the she is an alcoholic fucktard that is a leach on society (ok thoes are my words, she had a different description for her for the state of her life). A person that is angry at the she was not "allowed" to make more of herself, angry that I have been soooo lucky to have been given all that I have. She seems to forget that we went to the same schools, lived in the same hood, that she was given the scholarships that I was denied oh so many years ago

The two themes both the conversations shared, the basic logic both people seems to be following was that opportunity leads to success and that lack of success is indisputable proof that opportunity was DENIED! That SOMEONE took it away.

So all you fucktards out there who whine daily that you are not all you can be, rejoice!!! Its not your fault! Someone has denied you your place in the sun, someone has stolen the bread of opportunity from your very lips. How do I KNOW this? You are a fucktard without a Benz and 42 plasma TVs. This could not happen in a just and fair world so it is OBVIOUS that you have been denied opportunity!

As the obvious failure that I am, I feel so much better that I understand this new paradigm.

No comments: